Friday, October 2, 2009

Experienced vs.Newbie: Infancy?

Next, regarding a recent discussion of "experienced" vs. "newbie", I don't
come down definitively on either side.

My own two cents, for whatever two cents coming from me is worth is, all due respect to a guy who actually knows me and has graciously mentioned me as an experienced screenwriter, that, to tell the truth, I don't feel that experienced.

Yes, in the past three years, I have been hired to write or doctor nearly 20 screenplays, sold an original, saw one feature written-for-hire get produced, am expecting 2-3 others to be shot within the next year and I have been teaching college screenwriting classes for the past five years.

My point is that I feel like an infant, okay, maybe a toddler, and that I still feel like I have so,so,so much to learn about the art and science of screenwriting, I feel like I have just begun to crack the surface of what it means to be able to write a screenplay. I have seen movies where I just have to throw my hands in the air and say "You know, I could not have written this screenplay. I am not smart enough, deep enough or creative enough to have written this screenplay."

So, I keep going, learning, everytime I sit down to write, hoping to one day get it "right."

5 comments:

  1. Don't give up man. Maybe you already got it right. You just never know when you'll be recognized. Just right the truth. If that doesn't work, try a very entertaining lie.

    I hope your well. I've been thinking about you lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean the first "right" was actually "right". Right? I mean correct. It's the second "right" that should be "write". Uh huh...yeah..uh... right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know it's really a bad idea to go on the internet after oral surgery, 'cause the pain killers do not help one's spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you must empty your cup...

    ReplyDelete